Rollin' with the Roby's


Saturday, August 16, 2014

Surgery Day...


It's official..the whole fam has either been in the hospital or surgery....
Ty- at 7M with croup
Hanna at 10M with tubes in ears
Claire at 6M with bronchitis and rhinovirus
Me: having all 3 of my darlings..(plus a knee surgery)

and Now Trav..with his knee surgery!

His right knee has been bothering him for a long while now. He went to an NP awhile back and she said it was just excessive cartilage making the popping noise that would occur each time he squatted down. 
He likes to run, but has not been able to b/c it is painful.

So, he went back to a different Dr this time and after X-rays and MRI they discovered a torn meniscus that was causing all the pain and popping. 
So, laproscopic surgery was performed and the Dr knew he was going to fix meniscus but didn't know, until he was in surgery, if anything else was wrong. 

Travis was a little anxious/nervous since it was his first time for a surgery...besides his wisdom teeth...and from what I have been told about that...he was quite the comedian...so, he was also worried about what he may say after anesthesia..haha...

Since my sister and kids were in town, we were able to drop ty and hanna off with a babysitter that morning (everyone had to work)...and claire got to tag along b/c we didn't know how long it was going to take...we were just told to be there at 11....so she was a trooper and went with us. 

So, we got there around 10:30! haha..a little anxious.

and we waited in the waiting room for a good hour..until being called back.


They got trav all geared up for surgery...first IV...and no tears. I was so proud! haha! 



And he got a little pampered..and got his leg shaved...he wasn't too thrilled...I on the other hand was a little jealous! haha! I needed that service! 


While we waited...little Claire finally took a little snooze...and little it was...(15 min)! 

It was not the easiest age  to take with me...being active and wanting to go, go, go...but, not able to walk..
I put shoes on her for the first time to keep her feet off the nasty floor. 
But, she did great and we managed...plus, she helped me pass the time by...great little companion! :)


At 2:00 they wheeled trav back...
The con about being the last surgery (which we were just told)...we were there from 10:30-4:30...the pro...me and claire got to hang out in his room instead of going back to waiting area..since the room wasn't going to be used again. 
That was nice. Not that it mattered to Claire...but in order to not disturb other people waiting and to have a little more room..we stayed!


and I felt like I was in elementary school again, when they wheeled in the TV for movie day! haha!  
so we watched a little rachel ray while we waited...


and claire played with her favorite toy of the day...


Around 2:45 the dr came in and said, surgery was a success and John (ha) did great! 
He took 3 pages of pics...but this page shows the tear in the meniscus...the top 4 show the "extra flap" that was caused by the tear and the bottom 2 show the space now without the extra cartilage and meniscus. everything else in the  knee looked great....so that was wonderful news.



About 3:00 he came out for post op....feeling "Awesome" (i may have left off a word in that phrase) and "I didn't come out like hercules." 

b/c I was told of the effects from his wisdom teeth...I too was scared about what he could say, so, after those 2 phrases I told him to just rest..and not talk..lol! 
but, then he did tell the nurse, "this is the best wife." so, I let him continue talking...haha!

and we were able to leave after an hour or so of post op care....and he did just as they said, walked right out by  himself. Thought it was crazy. 




After getting him a milkshake, he retired to the couch! oh wait, no he didn't....let me just tell you what he did. I was feeding Claire, and i hear footsteps on the stairs..and I yell, "Travis what are you doing." his response, "I am just going upstairs."
In a yelling nice tone, I explained to him how that was not a wise decision...but against my wishes he proceeded on...b/c, "i doesn't hurt." That anesthesia is one good drug! haha! lucky, he had a good trip TO GET A BLANKET! silly kid! 
So, he then officially retired to the couch..and became a good patient and did his IS. 
side note on the spirometer...while in post-op the nurse was explaining to him how to use it...so, she said, here you try. so he took a huge breath in and breathed right into the spirometer....and nothing happened (b/c you are supposed to inhale)...and he got sad and said, "oh no, nothing happened."
Funniest.thing.ever...still makes me laugh! 
Pain meds make you do funny things! 

but, he got the hang of it and knocked it out of the ballpark...and every hour complied and did it 10 times each!


Ty and Hanna spent the night with my parents...so, Claire was my helper.

"daddy, you ok?"

Hanna will be THE BEST helper when she comes back home...she is quite the little nurse/mommy!


He took a hydrocodone before bed and actually feel asleep on the couch. Since he looked comfy and completely out...I just left him there when I went to bed. 
(so I got the entire bed to myself..hehe)
Until about 5:15 when I heard him come limping in...and he mentioned he was in pain. So, I helped in get in bed and got him more pain meds...he asked for the remote..turned the TV on...and was out in seconds..haha!

This morning he went to PT were they took his dressing off and worked with him for an hour. He did great on all the straigtening exercises..but the bending ones got to him...but, he has a print out of the exercises to work on...


It's still real swollen...but, looks great!








He is just so excited to get it rehabbed and feeling great again...

We have the best of friends who have called, text, messaged, offered food, thoughts and prayers..and we are so grateful for all of them.

and the Dr was great, the surgery center and PT have been wonderful...great experience for us! 

We may complain midland is gaining too many people....but there are such wonderful and generous people here.and we are blessed to know them!











No comments:

Post a Comment