Rollin' with the Roby's


Friday, November 1, 2013

Ninja Turtle Halloween...


   

This year for Halloween Ty wanted so badly to be a TMNT...after shopping around online and 3 trips to Target..we finally found him his Rafael (the red one) Ninja Turtle costume...and oh, was he soooooooooo excited. and in turn, it made my face light up seeing how excited he was. 
In Midland these days if you see something you want you have to grab it then or you don't get it...there is no going back the next day..or it'll be gone....hence our 3 trips to target...we knew we had to be there the day they put out the costumes or we wouldn't get one...luckily we timed it right! 
Hanna, on the other hand, is not into anything....so, deciding on what she was going to be was difficult. Ty had a few suggestions but Hanna just didn't care. We ended up getting her a Sophia the First princess costume at Target but we just weren't in love with it..but we knew if we didn't grab it she wouldn't be anything for halloween..haha. Plus, she might be into dress up one day and can use it then. 
A few weeks later my SIL texted me a picture of a little girl dressed up as a ninja turtle and thought it would be cute for Hanna....and of course it would be... it was perfect! Why hadn't I thought of that before. Actually, of all the things she knows...it's the TMNT! So.....I thought, I can totally make that. and the process started. 
I bought the tulle and started on her tutu...and used some white crochet ribbon (used for baby headbands) and used it as her elastic...and just slip knotted the tulle to the ribbon. That part was easy. 
The picture had the same crochet, elastic fabric as the bodice...but after several weeks of looking I was completely unsuccessful...I had even read somewhere that you can even use a crochet baby beanie and cut the top knot and make it as a bandeau top...again, unsuccessful in finding a green one. So, I scratched that thought and went to my next method..get a green t-shirt. Plus, that way it would give her more coverage and warmth if it's cold on Halloween. So...then began my search for just a plain green t-shirt...again, several weeks went by and absolutely no luck. Since I couldn't find any green shirts It dawned on my one trip to Hobby Lobby when Hanna was messing with the dye products...(insert lightbulb) I can just get a white shirt and dye it green....so, we jetted over to the shirt area..and again, found nothing in her size. UGH! so, I had my sister look at Abilene's Hobby Lobby. I mean, I never thought it would be this difficult to find a toddler white or green t-shirt.  I was about to give up and resort to the princess costume when I gained the courage and went to Wal-Mart...UGH! I despise that place. So, one morning we went to the dreaded wal-mart and after looking around and finding nothing...i then spied with my two little eyes...3T onsies...who knew they even made those! haha! Not exactly what I was going for..but, it would work. So, I brought them home and died them green...which was fun..i never dyed anything before...and once they dried I cut out muscle shaped abs out of felt and hot glued them onto her shirt....threaded a purple ribbon through the belt of her tutu and tied it off with a bow and called it good! :)
And, of course, my niece and nephew wanted to be TMNT as well...so, I made Sophi an orange one (Michaelangelo) and Brady was Leonardo....so together they are the full clan of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltes! 






They had a full day of festivities at their school...and later went trick or treating at Travis' office. Came home for Chili Dogs (a Roby halloween tradition) and ended the night trunk or treating at the church! phew..big day! :)
Even with all the candy and party Ty's favorite part was handing out candy to a few trick or treaters once we got home...then it was lights out b/c our kids were sleeping! ha! 

At their school they started with a parade, followed by trick or treating through the church offices, then games in the gym...lunch and nap and lastly class parties! They had a FULL day! 

Parade that began in chapel....


Hanna's Class Party...



Ty's class party...




Next it was back in costume for trick or treating at daddy's work...




Hanna's favorite candy...suckers..


Chili dogs...








 More pics from Travis' office.











Lastly...trunk or treat at church....



Mom-mom and Grandpa were nice to save us a spot in line...there are soooo many people there..last year approx 3,000....so, who knows how many this year! CRAZY! We hit 2 rows and then called it a night. They had enough candy and all the fun wore them out...








Last pic as a fam of 4....



Ty LOVES handing out candy to trick or treaters...our street is pretty much full of little kids so when we came home from church nobody's lights were on...we are all such party poopers (that have little kids with bedtimes..haha). We had left a bucket of candy out on the porch while we were gone and when trav went to get them he saw some trick or treaters...so he turned on the light and he and Ty gave away candy for a bit...then they were all gone..so Ty became our trick or treater! lol.  Probably the most fun he had all night! haha


and..i'd say they had a successful trick or treating day! 


Happy Halloween 2013!




No comments:

Post a Comment