Rollin' with the Roby's


Saturday, June 9, 2012

What an Adventure....

Warning: I know this is the longest post ever...so many stories to tell..but, it's kinda therapeutic for me! sorry! :)so just look at the pictures or grab a drink and snack and stay awhile!! :)


Tuesday afternoon me, my mom, Ty and Hanna all loaded up and headed to Ruidoso for a few days to clean the cabin to get it ready for the summer..hoping to stay until saturday...

Here is how our trip went...
Like I just stated...tuesday after Ty got out of school we left for our, what should be, 4 hour trip.
WELL..Hanna decided she needed to eat WAYYY sooner than we were anticipating..so, we went ahead and got our gormet dinner from Sonic while I fed Hanna...yes, I am still nursing. that stop lasted 45 minutes...WAY TO LONG! 
I am not sure how long it actually took us to get from midland to ruidoso, nm but ask my mom..she knows...she was counting our travel time..why you might ask??? bc the 2 year old in the backseat DID NOT stop talking the WHOLE trip except to take a breath! I told my mom she only got a small glimpse of what I deal with each and everyday! :) but, I love my talkative toddler!! 
We finally arrived and Ty was soooo excited to see the dear. The Cabin is in the Upper Canyon so you see all kinds of wildlife..and mule deer are always out and about. 




Wednesday we woke up and after breakfast and a trip to walmart, which by the way, is the only walmart I actually don't mind going into...there is never anybody there(at least when we go)! once we got back mom and I got to cleaning..and my aunt betty came down to see us/help as well...
 I gave Hanna a snack and she ended up using her table as a chew toy..
 Hanna's first time at the cabin...
 After a full day of cleaning we went on a walk...one of our favorite things to do there...

THen on Thursday...we worked again...I cleaned the "girls room" and mom and betty stained and weathered the new steps down to the river...and then the excitement began....


Seeing bears is usually an every visit occurrence....but in the middle of the afternoon is EXTREMELY rare...but see this little fella..he was out and about....
I was cleaning the girls room, the kids were napping, mom and betty were on the steps when all of a sudden I hear my mom yelling, "Lindsey, Lindsey" and I come out of the room to hear.."there is a bear." so I immediately run to the porch (where I am higher and able to see). I couldn't see anything so I ask, "where" and it was under the  porch I was on...which was right beside my mom and aunt..soo..naturally, what do I do first???? go grab my camera...lol! although we have seen numerous bears in our life there..it is still neat to see them each year....so, why was this any different...haha..but, i love you mom and betty! :)
the bear scoped out the perimeter..went into the girls room (which was were I was) and then ventured up to the porch were I was...and of course the door that I was counting on going in to get into the house was locked...WHAT....so , I hurriedly, right in front of him, made my way to the middle door..phew! all the cabin doors (3) have screen doors in front of the wooden ones... the door I went into and the kitchen door only had the screen doors exposed..so, my first thought was..he's going to claw through the screen door into the kitchen for the food...so, what does this protective momma do...shut the middle wooden door..and Go grab ty and hanna! i know the bear wasn't going to venture into the middle of the house or into the room where they were but I was not about the leave my helpless kids in their room with a bear at the screen kitchen door. I would never wake my kids up...but this was an exception. so with Ty and Hanna in tow we go into the kitchen and with my leg from as far as it would reach..I slammed the wooden kitchen door shut. and it ran off. Now, I know that is not the exact storyline that happened...but that's what I remember...my adrenaline was pumping...like I said, it's fun to see bears but when they are up in your space and your 2 kids are in the house asleep (thank goodness) it's a whole new ballgame! so, after he ran off and my mom and betty were able to come up to the porch I heard what happened! 
mom, was almost done staining the steps when she said she heard something running..she figured it was a deer and turned around to see the bear. she said it stopped right in front of her (she started yelling, bear..bear...but I never heard that..of course).. and kinda looked confused seeing she and betty on the steps (like, that was his normal route) so he went up the side to the top (where betty was). he looked at betty and betty took her top shirt off and threw is aside to make him to go to that...he went to the shirt sniffed it and then looked back and them and continued to the house. My mom is probably still shaking and it's saturday night. Initially, we thought it was a baby..so we were on the lookout for the momma...but, we never saw it..so I concluded it must have been like a toddler...and a hungry one!


 
After our hearts went back to normal sinus rhythm...we went about our  day! and Ty and I went to the river...where he could sit and throw rocks all day if I would let him..and although the river was low bc they also need rain..it was perfect walking depth for him.




















 Down by the river



 Ty found the hula-hoop that I remember playing with when I was little...so I used it as a tactic to keep him entertained for hours...and he had the best time!
 Mule deer...we didn't see near as many of them as we usually do...and if ty had his real bow these wouldn't be there either...bc he shoots every deer he sees.



This was the steps the first bear tried to go up..but mom was in the way..

Every family member has their height marks in the house...
Ty's at 3 months and Hanna's at 7 months...


 mine at ty's at 1...
 mine and ti's at 2...he was just a little bit taller than me...


The evening of the day we saw the afternoon bear...my mom and ty had just come inside from the porch (I was inside feeding hanna) when out of the "bear watching window" mom saw another bear. (I think this was the bear we saw last year)...lighter brown, scraggly looking..he was at the neighbors and attempted to eat their bird feeder (must have had sugar water or something in there)....Ty was excited to see it at first and was yelling, "brown bear, there is a Brown bear." and we were wanting him to stop talking...that was a challenge but he finally understood..






 I had to put my camera down bc I was still feeding hanna and now having to hold ty...but...after the bear searched the neighbors he came to our cabin..and again..up the porch to the kitchen where he found an ice chest that he managed to open and realized nothing was in there...he sniffed the kitchen door (this time the screen door and wooden door were shut)...he then went around to the front of the house where he saw Ty's cup of play dough....put that into his mouth, realized it wasn't food and spit it out. Ty was cool, calm and collective until that moment..and he yelled, "my play-dough." lol. he was a little upset about that..haha.. then we went to the bird bath and had a drink(almost tipping it over) and searched the perimeter again until it ran down and crossed the river...and we saw it search 2 houses until it was gone. I told my mom...I AM SOO GRATEFUL that wasn't the bear we saw that afternoon with she and betty on the steps..this bear was way more ravenous and aggressive! 
 That night...ty woke up several times from nightmares of the bear....telling me, "don't let that bear get me"...."that bear cross the river." etc, etc...poor little guy! 
The next day I did not mention a bear bc he was scared. 
 Friday...was reward day....we went into town to shop to reward ourselves for cleaning...hehe!
It was also exceptionally windy that day...so ty was flying with the wind...haha
 Ty telling me to "put you camera down and come play hu-wa-hoop." 
 Back down to the river...







After the river trip...and Ty was filthy and Hanna had a diaper blow-out I decided to go ahead and give them a bath...they both ate...and later mom and I ate...but bc of the bear incidents Ty was not allowed to go out of the house unless me or my mom were with him...and he wanted to go outside...so mom took her food outside to the porch so he could go outside (plus, that is her favorite spot..since it overlooks the river)...shortly I got my food and took it outside as well. Well, it was about 6:00 NM time (7 TX) when mom said, "Lindsey, that's smoke." after further investigation...we noticed there was a fire..and with the high wind gusts we couldn't make out where it was coming from..we just knew it was new. So, I went inside and turned on the TV to see if there was any information on the 6:00 news...but, the bad thing about ruidoso is there is not a local news station..so..we found out nothing. I called my aunt to see if she new of anything..and all she knew was what we could see...and she lives in the Downs..which is about a 15-20 minute drive from where we were...since we couldn't find any info about it..we just decided to pack up and leave...which was CRAZY! mom and I start getting everything together...Hanna was tired and hungry so guess what that meant..yes, screaming...ty was trying to help..but taking things out of suitcases and rearranging wasn't exactly helping...imagine that..so I asked him to go make hanna happy..but then he would come to me and say, "hanna's crying." AHHHHH!! hahhaha. then once mom and I started hauling stuff to the car Ty kept wanting to go outside...but, it was dinner time and that meant...dinner time for bears too..and with our history he was not allowed outside. so, mom and I are frantically packing/loading (bc the last thing you want is to be stuck in the upper canyon..there is only 1 road out)...and I am yelling at ty to STAY IN THE HOUSE and Hanna is still screaming!!! Finally, we had everything loaded...all we needed was the kids and ourselves....I was coming back from the car and mom had just got up on the porch and what do we spy...YES...another stinkin bear. and you would think with all the commotion of Hanna screaming and me Yelling at my mom to get into the house.. the bear would have jetted..but I honestly don't think that phased him..but you know what did!!!! the leftover half of ti's PB&J that we layer on a stump by the river bank that afternoon...if it wasn't for that sandwich..that bear would have come up on the porch. (we left it there so it could eat but stay away from the house..and get good pictures)..but it ended up coming in extremely handy!! After I got into the house and we saw it run off towards the sandwich..mom watched it from the house, run to the food and I grabbed ty and hanna and bolted to the car..told ty to get into his carseat, buckle up and no fussing...and ran on the other side of the car to put hanna in...got myself into the passenger seat and shut the doors...mom just had to lock up and then would be heading out...so I decided to get into the driver seat and basically drive through the yard, as close as I could to shorted mom's run....she got in and we headed out!! OH MY GOODNESS...as I type this I still get the hobby-jibbies...as we are driving out my aunt finally heard where the fire was steaming from...which was a ways from the cabin in a car...but mountain to mountain not too far. 
This picture was taken outside of ruidoso....we could actually see the fire at least 100 miles away and could have still seen it but it got dark. So, here we were on the road at 7:45 TX time with a 4 hour drive...The only positive about the situation was well, 1) we were all safe an 2) the kids were sleeping and ended up sleeping the whole way home...yay! peace! but...get this....
a little ways outside of ruidoso, we saw a 6-7 foot long rattler laying across our lane..how I missed that snake I/we will never know..it either slithered away really fast, curled up, or just got extremely lucky,...but a few hours later we saw another one...and I got that one! 1 for 2! hahaha. we finally got home around 12:30! as expected, Hanna was hungry once...(bc either the mountain air got the best of her and made her super hungry or she's going through a grow spert bc my sweet little girl thought she was a NB eating every 3 hours at night..WHAT!!)...so...I started feeding her after I put Ty in his bed...and while I was feeing her Ty cried out again. so I got him and he slept on my while I finished feeding Hanna...then Ty came and slept with travis and I...and he slept great..the best he slept the whole week...hanna on the other hand still thought she was in the mountains! I am hoping tonight she realizes she's back at home and remembers to sleep the whole night!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!



Anyways, I Absolutely love being at the cabin....but, that was the most crazy trip! 






No comments:

Post a Comment