Rollin' with the Roby's


Wednesday, April 25, 2012

slithering snakes

Ok...so yes, I grew up in the country with 3 acres of land and only 1 1/2-2 being lived on..meaning..the remaining were fields. We had a pool and a very large garden which are snakes favorite things..food and water. Until one year my dad tilled up the garden, unbeknownst to my mother...haha..she was not too happy but snakes were thought to hang out there.  I also never had an ounce of fear of snakes growing up..in fact, I would try to find and catch them...which was my mothers biggest fear. Not from the fact that I would bring them home and she hates them but for the fact, that I would mistake a baby rattler (having no rattles) for another non-poisonous snake.  and, we all know, baby rattlers are the most dangerous. Still...that didn't scare me..i was invincible..or so I thought...luckily, I never encountered any. Also, growing up I got annoyed with my parents that I wasn't allowed to walk to my friends house (before cars) once the sun went down or play the ultimate "spot light"..which was basically hide and go seek with a spot light..haha. anyways, not until I was in junior high and had a 4-wheeler was I allowed to play...and still the nights were slim that I actually got to play...why? bc my parents knew snakes favorite spots at night were on the warm graveled roads...they didn't want us to play hide and seek with snakes. Of course, then I didn't like it but now that I am older and wiser(haha) I completely understand. 
Jump ahead to present day...now that it is warmer and snake hibernation is over there has been several reports of snakes coming out...grrrr.
My once "invincible" attitude has turned into a super scared attitude...not for myself..although, don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want to come across any..but, I fear for my precious children..I, definitely DO NOT want Ty or Hanna to come in contact with one. 
Since we have a lot of open fields around us and our sub-division is about to start expanding more..that means the snake dens are more than likely to get "interrupted." that is what scares me. We always keep our garage door shut to keep them out and with water restrictions we don't have water at their disposal..but they still might enjoy our house but I hope they never find it. 
So....with all that being said, I had a discussion with Ty today about snakes..it went like this...

Me: Ty, what do you do if you see a snake
Ty: a snake go like this, "sss"
me: yes, they do...but, if you see one you don't touch it and you run really fast and tell mommy and daddy
Ty: I touch it.
Me: NO, you don't touch it..snakes are very bad and yucky
Ty: I step on it?
Me: NO, you don't step on it...you run really fast away from the snake
Ty: old mcdonald had a farm..e-i-e-i-o..on farm had a snake..sss here sss there...etc
Me: NO, no snakes on your farm...snakes are bad...we do not touch them.
Ty: I run really fast like this (and he proceeds to run away).
Me: yes, run really fast like that
I thought..I am not quite sure my message got across to him.

Later, after nap, I asked again..
me: Ty, what do you do if you see a snake
Ty: I touch it..
me: NO, ty, you do not touch snakes...they are bad
ty; I no touch it mommy.

Oh dear. 

and to make my fear of snakes even greater, today while I was telling my sister my concerns she starts laughing and I say, "what is so funny." Well, she received a news alert from her local news (in abilene) and during our snake conversation a news alert notified her phone that a lady was bit by a rattler...are you serious. The news totally blew it out of proportion and said the ambulance..etc where there and the lady was fully conscience...lol...wow, abilene could kinda be the modern day mayberry! haha. typically, you hear of accidents, murders..things to that extent..but, today it was snake bite...haha.
Oh, and before that...I never get to watch tv..well, let me restate that...If the tv is on..it is on a show ty likes...not that he watches it but it's on. however, I LOVE the Ellen Show... cracks me up and here it comes on at 11:00...so there are days I can watch it while ty eats...I haven't been able to watch it in awhile but I turned it on today...and what did the show start with...I kid you not...a story of how she found snakes in her backyard....in California!! REally...there are snake stories everywhere...lets just say, I am not wanting any of us to venture outside..haha! plus, it's 102 here today..so hot!
so..everyone be careful out there!

1 comment:

  1. We had the SAME exact discussion at our house last week. We found a copperhead snake at the end of our driveway and it freaked me out! BRett killed it and then showed Crew- now he's got it down. What do we do when we see a snake- "Run Away!" I hope we never see anymore, they make me sooo scared, expecially with little ones and dogs!

    ReplyDelete